Re: partman problems (sparc and elsewhere)

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 02:25:02PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:

> Ah, no, it was a swap paritition previously, not an ext3.

Are you sure that it didn't contain ext3 signatures already? If it
contained swap but partman didn't update the partition type then this
must be some unknown bug.  (Well, it must be unknown for the present
version of partman.  In the past partman would not update the partition
type in this case.)

> > The solution (not nice) would be to write the partition tables
> > unconditionaly.
>
> Why is it not-nice ? It is a good solution, either that or have some way to
> set it by hand.

Because:

1. Partman may not write all partition tables - some of them may be for
   example USB disk we are installing from
2. Consequently partman may try to write only the partition tables that
   contain partitions that will be used somehow by the new Debian
   (partitions with some file system, with swap or booting partition)
3. But if the user uses LVM or RAID partman has to write the partition
   tables before it knows which of them will be used.  Latter they are
   already in use and the kernel complains about changes in them

Yes, these problems probably can be got round but not in a clear way.

Anton Zinoviev