Re: partman problems (sparc and elsewhere)

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 11:40:37PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:

> BTW, i also believe that this is a problem on pegasos. Doing a
> ped_partition_set_system each time we put a filesystem on a partition may be
> the thing to do, do you do this ?

Yes.

> Example, on pegasos, i was going to install an ext3 filesystem in the old swap
> partition. The old partition was marked as type swap, and this was not
> changed, and thus the ext3 filesystem was not readable from the firmware,
> which thought it contained swap, and since there are no driver for this, it
> failed.

The following happens:

1. The partition type is swap, but it contains ext3
2. parted reports the partition as ext3 partition
3. you tell partman to use this partition as ext3 partition
4. partman does ped_partition_set_system(ext3) for it
5. however partman sees that the partition was ext3 previously and
   concludes that the partition table is unchanged.  Thats why partman
   doesn't write it to the disk

The API of parted doesn't provide functions to access the partition type
and thats why partman has no way to find out whether your assignment of
the partition as ext3 requires changes in the partition table or not.

The solution (not nice) would be to write the partition tables
unconditionaly.

Anton Zinoviev