Re: How to contribute

Sorry for sending several times the same mail but I had some problems with my mail client. Well, I'm now read for the big task :-)

<x-tad-bigger>> [Jaonary Rabarisoa]
> > Especially, I'm very exiting to get Debian in my native language
> > which is the "malagasy" - from Madagascar. So what I have to do for
> > that?
>
> Well, first you will probably have to get a locale made available for
> that language. Check
> do that. As far as I can see, from the glibc source, there is no such
> language supported by glibc today.

And I haven't been able to find one unfortunately.

Petter is right, having a malagasy locale is a must have for a
Malagasy translation to be really useful.

So, we need to build one is none exists..:-)

Building a mg_MG locale seems the most appropriate, with
language/country related to "malagasy in Madagascar".
</x-tad-bigger>

<x-tad-bigger>This is not that complicated, except for the collate part which may be
tricky without other reference.

</x-tad-bigger>

I don't know yet how locale works. For the moment, all I can do is to give you the specification of the language. I hope to learn more about locale soon :-)

<x-tad-bigger>Jaonary, correct me if I'm wrong, but malagasy does not use special
characters (basically it uses Latin script), right??

</x-tad-bigger>

Yes. It uses the Latin srcipt and without accentuated characters. I think that an us-keymap is enough but Madagascar is also a french-speaking country. Thus, keeping the french-keymap may be interesting.

<x-tad-bigger>That would simplify things a lot....

Besides this, working on early translation of Debian Installer to
Malagasy is possible even without the locale in Debian, of course.

I suggest you start reading the i18n documentation for Debian
Installer. Let me use this opportunity for pointing you to the new
revamped documentation?:

</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/d-i/i18n.txt</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>

Even though some parts described here are not yet in place, you'll get
most of the point....

</x-tad-bigger>

Well, I'll already subscribed to alhiot under the name of "deep-guest". I don't realy know how to get start. Is there somethig else to do before starting the level 1?

<x-tad-bigger>After this, and even before, feel free to get in touch with me.....and
to use French if needed.
</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>
Regards