Re: How to contribute

> I don't know yet how locale works. For the moment, all I can do is to
> give you the specification of the language. I hope to learn more about
> locale soon :-)

Well, we can build the locale together. I will have to ask you
questions related to either the country or the language:

-currency
-way to represent date and time
-how sorting works

and so on.

I will probably start from the French localewhich is what I usually do
when working on a locale for a Latin-based language

> Yes. It uses the Latin srcipt  and without accentuated characters. I
> think that an us-keymap is enough but Madagascar is also a
> french-speaking country. Thus, keeping the french-keymap may be
> interesting.

Keymap will come later. You indeed need to know which types of
keyboard are usually used for inputting Malagasy language. I guess
these are probably US-layout, or french layout.....indeed the only
problem would be if the layout is completely new...which would be a
surprise.

> > Even though some parts described here are not yet in place, you'll
> > get
> > most of the point....
> >

> Well, I'll already subscribed to alhiot under the name of "deep-guest".
> I don't realy know how to get start. Is there somethig else to do
> before starting the level 1?

That's fine. We usually do no grant commit access immediately, for
obvious reasons.

So, what I suggest you is getting more familiar with PO files
handling.

You can grab a copy of the needed directory:

svn co svn//svn.debian.org:3690/svn/d-i/trunk/packages/po debian-installer

Then from there, copy template.pot to mg.po

The use some PO editing tool such as KBabel or Poedit (I have used
both so I can helpl you with them) and start working : this is pretty
obvious, but feel free to ask for help, here...or preferrably in
debian-i18n@lists.debian.org.

If you feel lost, you can go to #debian-boot on IRC
irc.freenode.net....or even drop me a phone call at office hours at
0146734438.

Be aware that, because of the lack of locale, this is probably a work
for a post-sarge release of Debian Installer...we will probably be
short in time for having a mg_MG locale ready and incorporated in
sarge.