Re: release status

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 10:18:09PM +0200, Christian Leimer wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 05:02:31PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> >> Hi,

> http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc-small/floppy/
> >>
> >> hmm.... the boot.img from 2004-08-06, 21:24 (still) doesn't boot and the
> >> root.img is too big to fit on a floppy :-(
> >
> > :/ We need to find out why this happens. Do you know how to build it
> > :yourself ?
> >

> Hi!
>
> I today copied the vmlinux.coff kernel from
> kernel-build-2.4.25-powerpc-small to a hfs floppy and was able to boot from
> openfirmware with: boot fd:vmlinux(renamed kernel). The kernel loads but
> hangs because of no root fs. So whoever is building the boot floppies

The initrd should have the root fs modules, so this should not be a problem. I
have no idea how you specify a initrd with the OF, but my guess is that you
need to produce a kernel with builtin initrd, like we do for chrp or prep.

The best guess would be to use a 2.6.7-powerpc kernel, and use :

  mkvmlinuz 2.6.7-powerpc

to generate vmlinuz-2.6.7-powerpc, which you can then boot from the OF. This
is rather untested though, but mkvmlinuz supports the generation of the .coff
image.

Maybe d-i should provide such .coff images, since so it is not needed to have
either bootx nor miboot. But since this is only available from the serial
console, it cannot be a generic solution for old world.

> should take this kernel and add some root or ram stuff to make a di boot
> floppy. Also it seems that the ofonly and the normal kernels are equal.
> Should this be so? And they still dont work error: unrecognized Client
> Programm formatstate not valid. Maybe some sort of wrong format it should
> be xcoff or?

No idea about this.

> If a new kernel is ready some time I can test if needed.

Hope this helps,

Friendly,

Sven Luther