Re: release status

Sven Luther wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 10:18:09PM +0200, Christian Leimer wrote:
>> Sven Luther wrote:

>> http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc-small/floppy/

>> > :/ We need to find out why this happens. Do you know how to build it
>> > :yourself ?
>> >

>> Hi!
>>
>> I today copied the vmlinux.coff kernel from
>> kernel-build-2.4.25-powerpc-small to a hfs floppy and was able to boot
>> from openfirmware with: boot fd:vmlinux(renamed kernel). The kernel loads
>> but hangs because of no root fs. So whoever is building the boot floppies
>
> The initrd should have the root fs modules, so this should not be a
> problem. I have no idea how you specify a initrd with the OF, but my guess
> is that you need to produce a kernel with builtin initrd, like we do for
> chrp or prep.
>
> The best guess would be to use a 2.6.7-powerpc kernel, and use :
>
>   mkvmlinuz 2.6.7-powerpc
>
> to generate vmlinuz-2.6.7-powerpc, which you can then boot from the OF.
> This is rather untested though, but mkvmlinuz supports the generation of
> the .coff image.
>
> Maybe d-i should provide such .coff images, since so it is not needed to
> have either bootx nor miboot. But since this is only available from the
> serial console, it cannot be a generic solution for old world.
>
>> should take this kernel and add some root or ram stuff to make a di boot
>> floppy. Also it seems that the ofonly and the normal kernels are equal.
>> Should this be so? And they still dont work error: unrecognized Client
>> Programm formatstate not valid. Maybe some sort of wrong format it should
>> be xcoff or?
>
> No idea about this.

Hi again!

Take a look at:
http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/2004-08-08/build_powerpc-small_floppy_boot.log

And you can see that the floppy was built with a 2.4 kernel. And I think
that it should stay so and not take an 2.6 kernel, because I never was able
to boot on later after sarge installed on my Umax(oldworld clone mac).

Also look at line nine from the end of the file its:
hcopy -r ./tmp/powerpc-small_floppy_boot-ofonly/vmlinux.gz :vmlinuz
it seems that a gziped vmlinux file becomes vmlinuz. Do I understand that
right? But It should be a coff file, dont know if compressed or not. So the
error formatstate blabla at openfirmwae is a result of loading a gz file.

Maybe someone (how to find out how?)can change the build script to make a
coff file and the I can test if the resulting floppy will work.

Since d-i rc1 is out now there should be a boot floppy for people how dont
have macos to boot from cd on an oldworld.

Ciao Chris.