Re: Experimental countrychooser branch

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 09:23:35AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> > Quoting Herbert Xu (herbert@gondor.apana.org.au):

> >> I do not see how you can justify it by the Social Contract .  You're
> >> basically trading the interest of 30 million people against that of
> >> 1 billion.

> > I do not really see where is the interest of 1 billion people when we
> > maintain strict compliance to a standard that we know has no single
> > justification.

> Had you made your own list of locations from scratch there would be no
> complaint by me.  However, if you use the iso name for every location
> except that of Taiwan, then I do have a problem with that.

> If this is your attitude, then I shall resign this project.  I do not
> wish to be associated with people who're actively working towards the
> independence of Taiwan.

Accepting the unnecessarily awkward expansion of the TW code is no
guarantee at all that people aren't working towards the independence of
Taiwan, and I hardly think that using this "officially-sanctioned" name
in the Debian installer is the most effective means of securing
Taiwan's independence.

If there are other names that you think are unnecessarily wordy in
iso-3166, I'm sure they can also be adjusted for d-i's purposes.  The
standard here is "don't use pointlessly long names that have been
foisted on us by bureaucrats", not "don't use names that satisfy the
sensibilities of the Chinese."  Surely this is a reasonable standard for
an international organization (such as Debian) to follow?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer