Re: PCMCIA network configuration

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 20:27 -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Per Olofsson wrote:
> > (Please CC me on replies.)

> > 1. Change /etc/pcmcia/network{,.opts} to somehow tell netcfg that a
> >    particular interface is a PCMCIA network card and then modify
> >    netcfg so that it doesn't add the auto option on these interfaces.
>
> This seems to be the straightforward way to do it.

Yes. And as you said, the other ones are more post-sarge
approaches. So let's go with this one.

Now, how to implement this? What first comes to mind is to add a
special field to /etc/network/devnames and use that file, since netcfg
already reads it. One could also add cardctl to pcmcia-cs-udeb and use
it to get the card name. The problem is that card names might contain
a colon so I'd have to add the field between the interface name and
the description. Or should it just write a list of PCMCIA interface
names in another file, perhaps?

--
Pelle