Re: PCMCIA network configuration

Per Olofsson wrote:
> Now, how to implement this? What first comes to mind is to add a
> special field to /etc/network/devnames and use that file, since netcfg
> already reads it. One could also add cardctl to pcmcia-cs-udeb and use
> it to get the card name. The problem is that card names might contain
> a colon so I'd have to add the field between the interface name and
> the description. Or should it just write a list of PCMCIA interface
> names in another file, perhaps?

I don't think getting really accurate card names is all that important,
very few people will have two pcmcia network cards. So calling it
"PCMCIA network card N" is probably fine, or whatever it does now.

Anyway, this is separate from teaching netcfg about hotpluggable cards.
Whether their interface is turned on by pcmcia or by some other method
(usb hotplug?), the key thing is that these card should not get auto
entries. A /etc/network/devhotplug or something could list them.

Is modifying pcmcia-cs to deal with this going to be problimatic, and is
there another way to do it besides including cardctl? Something in
/proc? I know that so far we have managed to use pcmcia-cs without
changing its init scripts.

--
see shy jo