Re: d-i on Alpha: failed installation

Cameron,

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 03:00:20PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> I just attempted an installation on an alpha with a daily 'business
> card' image from yesterday.  After giving kernel boot parameters as
> vorlon described, the initial boot was a success.  The SCSI controller
> and attached drives were detected.  Unfortunately, some devfs weirdness
> seemed to prevent the installer from seeing the CDROM drive: it showed
> up in /dev/scsi/... but not in /dev/cdroms.  Mounting the CD by hand
> worked, but d-i still refused to recognise it.  Since the driver for the
> machine's network cards was on the CD, the installation got no further.

> I was using a serial console, which mostly worked, although it seemed a bit
> peculiar for it to ask for a keyboard layout, and the screen redraw was
> significantly slower than it needed to be.

> Some relevant output from capturing the serial console:

> ~ # ls -l /dev/cdroms/
> lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           34 Jan  1  1970 cdrom0 -> ���scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd
> ~ # ls -l /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0
> brw-rw-rw-    1 root     root      11,   0 Jan  1  1970 cd
> ~ # mount /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /cdrom
> mount: Mounting /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 on /cdrom failed: No such file or directory
> ~ # mount /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd /cdrom
> mount: /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd is write-protected, mounting read-only

> It looks to me like the first three characters in the link in
> /dev/cdroms should have been '../'.  In case they get mangled by email,

Well, as it turns out, these symlinks are generated by the kernel itself
as part of devfs.  Can you please verify that this is a reproducible
error?  I only have IDE cdroms to test with, but it works fine here --
and I think it would be quite a serious problem if the kernel was
generating broken devfs symlinks on a regular basis (instead of, say,
due to a cosmic ray hitting your machine ;).

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer