Re: d-i on Alpha: failed installation

Hi,

I'm finally catching up on debian mailing list messages that I've been
ignoring for the last couple of weeks...

Steve Langasek wrote:

| Cameron,
[...]
| > It looks to me like the first three characters in the link in
| > /dev/cdroms should have been '../'.  In case they get mangled by email,
|
| Well, as it turns out, these symlinks are generated by the kernel itself
| as part of devfs.  Can you please verify that this is a reproducible
| error?

It seems to be reproducible on the CD that I'm using (which is a few
weeks old now) - I tried it again this morning which would make it the
third time I've seen it.  Perhaps it might be a dodgy burn, but I would
have thought that this would manifest itself in different ways (i.e. not
being able to boot at all).

| and I think it would be quite a serious problem if the kernel was
| generating broken devfs symlinks on a regular basis (instead of, say,
| due to a cosmic ray hitting your machine ;).

Yes.  I'll try a newer daily image later today and see if that fixes it.
Do the newer builds contain a different kernel?

Cheers,

Cameron.