Re: Big netinst/businesscard images

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> > The businesscard .iso is now about ~60MB, which probably won't even fit on
> > most "businesscard"-sized CDs. Could somebody please answer:
>
> I can only hazard guesses, surely debian-cd would have better answers.
>
> > - Why is the entire Debian keyring (6MB) on the CD?
>
> Probably to support checking signatures of Release files.

Debian CD has a security checking option. That might pull in the keyring.

> > - Why are the net_drivers, cd_drivers and other floppies (at least 7-8MB) in
> >   /install? They do not seem to be used in the installation.
>
> Probably so if you have a CD drive that cannot boot, you can copy these
> to floppies and use them to let d-i get at your CDROM.

There is a package that will simulate booting from CD. iirc its SBM
(Smart Boot Manager).

A floppy image of that should be on the CD, and a set of usb floppies
for external cdrom drives.

> > - Why are there two different kernel udebs (2.4.20 and 2.4.22)? (Several more
> >   megabytes.) Really, what do you need the kernel-iamge udebs for at all?
>
> We need at least one to install onto the base system.

The reason seems to be that all udebs are on the CD, right?

Why do wee need the kernel udeb? Isn't the kernel-iamge.deb installed?

> > - What do we need the entire Contents-i386.gz (6MB) from sarge for?
>
> From sarge?

Also a config option in debian-cd iirc.

> > The woody netinst images are ~10MB. I think we should be easily able to trim
> > 30MB off the current business card ISOs, and we definitely should do so :-)
>
> Maybe you're looking for something more like the cd_image target in
> debian-installer/build/? IIRC it's < 10 mb.

That doesn't (yet) have the 2. stage udebs or debian-cd magic files on
it. It just makes a bootable cd image of the kernel and ramdisk. Good
for TYPE=netboot when you can't netboot.

MfG
        Goswin