Installation report on two macs

Hi all,
I just tried an installation of the new debian-installer (from CVS) on
two machine

A. powerbook3,5 titanium G4@867Mhz, 512Mb RAM, 40Gb HD, radeon 9000
B. powermac2.1, iMac, 64Mb RAM

1. I built a debian-installer cd image (cd build; make TYPE=cdrom
cd_image)

2. I rebuilt a cd of sarge using jigdo

3. I mounted the iso image using loop and rebuilt the same image using
mkisofs but specifying as boot image the new cd_image:

mkisofs -r -T --netatalk -hfs -probe
         -map boot/powerpc/hfs.map -part -no-desktop
         -hfs-bless ./tmp/cdrom/cd_image_tree/boot
         -hfs-volid Debian-Installer/PPC
         -o /home/giuseppe/cdiso/cdrom-completo.iso
         ./tmp/cdrom/cd_image_tree /mnt/loop0

When the machine boots using the new CD, yaboot starts and then the
kernel is loaded and the boot suddenly stop. The last lines on the
screen are:

kmod failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k net-pf-1, errno=2
init started: BusyBox v1.00-pre3 (2003:08:25-08:35+000) multi-call binar
kmod failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k net-pf-1, errno=2
ADB keyboard ...
detected ADB ...
input1: ...
input2: ...
kmod failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k net-pf-1, errno=2
ADB mouse at 3, handler set to 4readlink: /proc/self/fd/0: No such file
or directory

trying to solve this problem we found that in build/powerpc/yaboot.conf
the line 'append="init=/linuxrc"' is missing. This line is required in
order to properly boot the powerbook.

Once the kernel boot we found impossible to load any modules. This is
because the busybox-cvs-udeb.udeb was compiled without
lsmod/rmmod/modprobe/insmod. We then tried to find the correct source of
busybox byt this seems to be impossible: the source from unstable are
older than the version printed during the boot by the udeb downloaded
from the archive.

We then tried to get a newer busybox from the original FTP site but we
did not manage to get a working CD, since the generated image was
running the busybox, but there wasn't any output.
In this case, where busybox doesn't start, we found that the /dev was
missing, so adding 'devfs=mount' to the yaboot run command make busybox
start (but crashing...) In this case the problem is probably the kernel
udeb that is missing same option. We also noticed that these options are
included in the i386 syslinux.cfg.

Questions:
1. where are the right sources of busybox?
2. why append="init=/linuxrc" is missing from yaboot.conf? did someone
tried to install d-i on a powerpc before?

Anyway, the list of available keyboards include only amiga keyboard.
This is not so useful having a mac :-) The worst thing is that if you
get to the choice of keyboards, then you cannot go back.

Bye,
Giuseppe Sacco
Fabrizio G. Ficca
Francesco Donadon