Re: Extensible partitioner based on libparted and cdebconf

Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> At http://lml.bas.bg/~anton/partman you can find the first components
> and the documentation of a new partitioner for the Debian installer.

Nice paper, good job. Making the operation of the partitioner extensible
by other udebs is spot on!

(btw, s/choosed/chosen/)

One thing it does not seem to consider is that some would like to keep a
record of how they partitioned one machine and use it to automate
partitioning on others. If it used the debconf database as the
data-passing mechanism or perhaps saved stuff to there on commit, that
could be done.

I have some converns about the way you implemented menus. It does not
seem very ameanable to internationalisation. Have you considered making
the choices script output the name of a debconf template, whose short
description can be used as the menu item, much as main-menu works? The
valid_filesystems stuff has similar problems.

One big thing that seems to be missing to me is something to sanity
check a user's choices. For example, /usr needs to be X mb big, / should
be a bootable partition, etc.

It looks like this could eventually supplant the partitioner, partconf,
and autopartkit udebs. However, there is not currently authing to do
automatic partitioning is there?

> Currently the following things should be fixed:
>
> 1. Anna doesn't want to unpack the udebs automatically.
>
> I have no idea what caused this.  In order to test the udebs in real
> situation I used to unpack them manualy (udpkg --unpack <package_name>).

Could this be because of the priority of the udebs? anna does not
automatically install packages below standard priority.

--
see shy jo