Re: Extensible partitioner based on libparted and cdebconf

On  5.XII.2003 at 12:09 Joey Hess wrote:

> One thing it does not seem to consider is that some would like to keep a
> record of how they partitioned one machine and use it to automate
> partitioning on others.

This seams to be a nice feature to ask from the automatic partitioner.
On the first machine we use a special udeb to make a recipy for the
automatic partitioner.

> Have you considered making the choices script output the name of a
> debconf template, whose short description can be used as the menu
> item, much as main-menu works?

The idea is that this script has to do the translation alone.  In can
do it using debconf, gettext or by some other means.  One script can
output many menu items and this makes imposible to assign to each of
them some debconf template.  Consider the choices script that creates
items for all partitions.

> One big thing that seems to be missing to me is something to sanity
> check a user's choices. For example, /usr needs to be X mb big, / should
> be a bootable partition, etc.

There is already a check that there is a partition mounted as / and it
is easy to add more checks provided someone tells me what they should
test and (dis)allow.  Actualy any udeb can install such a check script
in finish.d.

> However, there is not currently authing to do automatic partitioning
> is there?

Not for now.

> > 1. Anna doesn't want to unpack the udebs automatically.
>
> Could this be because of the priority of the udebs? anna does not
> automatically install packages below standard priority.

No.  I tried both with standard priority and with udeb_include.

Anton Zinoviev