Re: [patch]: fdisk-udeb needs reduced .mo files for l10n

Am Fre, den 14.11.2003 schrieb Denis Barbier um 21:02:

> > .../...
> >
> > > I wrote up a patch to add the missing l10n to cfdisk.
> > > Unfortunately its bloats the udeb a bit:
> > >
> > > total 4072
> > >   68 bsdutils_2.12-4_i386.deb
> > >  468 fdisk-udeb_2.12-4_i386.udeb
> > >  136 mount_2.12-4_i386.deb
> > >    4 util-linux-2.12
> > >    4 util-linux-2.12.new
> > >  984 util-linux-locales_2.12-4_all.deb
> > >  148 util-linux_2.12-4.diff.gz
> > >    4 util-linux_2.12-4.dsc
> > >   60 util-linux_2.12-4_i386.build
> > >    4 util-linux_2.12-4_i386.changes
> > >  372 util-linux_2.12-4_i386.deb
> > > 1820 util-linux_2.12.orig.tar.gz
> > >
> > > Around 70K per language added to the udeb.
> > > Is this acceptable, or what else should be done?
> >
> > There was no reaction to this.
> >
> > Having the cfdisk part translated is IMHO really important. Without
> > this, we will end up with a full translated installer in a lot of
> > languages....except for the manual partitioning step.
>
> In fact Alastair considered all fdisk/*.c files.  But if you only
> extract messages from fdisk/cfdisk.c, PO files are ten times smaller.
> Some messages could also be removed (like output of cfdisk -h), but
> it requires patching sources, which is quite unpractical.

IMO space does not matter too much here, as cfdisk is only used in the
second stage of the installer. So it only affects the memory usage of
debian-installer and will not conflict with the floppy installation
methods as this udeb will be loaded by anna and is not present on the
floppies. So if you ask me, then go for it and try to reduce the size to
what can be done with an acceptable effort.

gaudenz