Re: [patch]: fdisk-udeb needs reduced .mo files for l10n

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 06:21:56PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:

> > >The fdisk-udeb for debian-installer requires cut-down versions
> > >of the .mo files for localisation.
> > >The following patch produces these.
>
> .../...
>
> > I wrote up a patch to add the missing l10n to cfdisk.
> > Unfortunately its bloats the udeb a bit:
> >
> > total 4072
> >   68 bsdutils_2.12-4_i386.deb
> >  468 fdisk-udeb_2.12-4_i386.udeb
> >  136 mount_2.12-4_i386.deb
> >    4 util-linux-2.12
> >    4 util-linux-2.12.new
> >  984 util-linux-locales_2.12-4_all.deb
> >  148 util-linux_2.12-4.diff.gz
> >    4 util-linux_2.12-4.dsc
> >   60 util-linux_2.12-4_i386.build
> >    4 util-linux_2.12-4_i386.changes
> >  372 util-linux_2.12-4_i386.deb
> > 1820 util-linux_2.12.orig.tar.gz
> >
> > Around 70K per language added to the udeb.
> > Is this acceptable, or what else should be done?
>
> There was no reaction to this.
>
> Having the cfdisk part translated is IMHO really important. Without
> this, we will end up with a full translated installer in a lot of
> languages....except for the manual partitioning step.

In fact Alastair considered all fdisk/*.c files.  But if you only
extract messages from fdisk/cfdisk.c, PO files are ten times smaller.
Some messages could also be removed (like output of cfdisk -h), but
it requires patching sources, which is quite unpractical.

Denis