Re: Integrating the debian-installer into the archive

Am Fr, den 03.10.2003 schrieb Anthony Towns um 19:26:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 03:54:10PM +0200, Sebastian Ley wrote:

> > It would perhaps be a good idea to let udebs propagate that path the
> > same way the debs do and build official testing images only from
> > udebs in testing, while the stable installer fetches from stable and
> > the development version from unstable.

> I've been hesitant to do this for two reasons. One is that it's a fair
> chunk of work.

Okay, this is of course a valid reason. If we can help in any way let us
know.

> The other is that d-i hasn't really struct me as being
> particularly unbuggy and stable (cf the recent NEW uploads and changed
> shlibs); and adding it to testing in any useful way means blocking
> other packages due to d-i bugs (such as dependency errors or RC bugs),
> which I'm loathe to do especially when there're already plenty of other
> blockages in testing.

http://bugs.qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/debian-installer.cgi
Only two RC bugs which are introduced by udebs. We are asking now for
integration into the archive because we left the biggest mess behind us,
and feel d-i is fit for it. There is one large transition pending (the
libdebian-installer API/ABI change) for which we have a (hopefully)
decent transition plan.

> > To achieve this, the only thing to be done seems to adjust the testing
> > scripts to process udebs as well.
>
> Avoiding uploading completely broken packages would be a good idea too...

We will consider this ;-) But this is not a d-i specific problem...
Sometimes you upload a package which works to your best knowledge,
finding out that it only worked for you and your local testing setup.
Testing d-i is not an easy task, and believe me: We are not breaking
anything on purpose ;-)

> >       * Make a binary debian package that builds the installer and use
> >         some totally different autobuilding process
>
> I doubt it's possible to use the regular autobuilders personally (I expect
> you'll require root privleges to mount filesystems for instance).

Building images as non-root works perfectly.

> If it is possible, that's cool. Either way, you'll need to work out how
> to automate the builds yourselves, and tell everyone else.

Oh, I did not post this message to push all the work to the ftpmasters.
We merely wanted some hints which solution will be approved by the
ftpmasters. It doesn't make sense to do the work just to find out that
the ftpmasters don't like the solutions (perhaps for good reasons we did
not thing about).

Regards,
Sebastian
--
PGP-Key: http://www.mmweg.rwth-aachen.de/~sebastian.ley/public.key
Fingerprint: A46A 753F AEDC 2C01 BE6E  F6DB 97E0 3309 9FD6 E3E6