Re: Integrating the debian-installer into the archive

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 03:54:10PM +0200, Sebastian Ley wrote:
> 1) Release Scheme
> -----------------
> Debian already has a well tested release scheme with the
> unstable->testing->stable migration. It would perhaps be a good idea to
> let udebs propagate that path the same way the debs do and build
> official testing images only from udebs in testing, while the stable
> installer fetches from stable and the development version from unstable.

I've been hesitant to do this for two reasons. One is that it's a fair
chunk of work. The other is that d-i hasn't really struct me as being
particularly unbuggy and stable (cf the recent NEW uploads and changed
shlibs); and adding it to testing in any useful way means blocking
other packages due to d-i bugs (such as dependency errors or RC bugs),
which I'm loathe to do especially when there're already plenty of other
blockages in testing.

> To achieve this, the only thing to be done seems to adjust the testing
> scripts to process udebs as well.

Avoiding uploading completely broken packages would be a good idea too...

>       * Make a binary debian package that builds the installer and use
>         some totally different autobuilding process

I doubt it's possible to use the regular autobuilders personally (I expect
you'll require root privleges to mount filesystems for instance). If
it is possible, that's cool. Either way, you'll need to work out how to
automate the builds yourselves, and tell everyone else.

Cheers,
aj

Australian DMCA (the Digital Agenda Amendments) Under Review!
	-- http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/copyright/digitalagenda