Re: Debian Installer - RAID0 SOFT

Hello,

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 04:14:36PM -0300, Jozeph Brasil wrote:

> What is necessary to install Debian with RAID0 partittion?

> I have tried all possible solutions to do that and don't belive
> that Debian have not in the native installer a simple solution to
> install debian under raid0.

> I'm migrating all my systems to Debian for belive it. I think
> today that debian is the best linux dist.

> I have tried the blade (lar1440.bin) and the XFS SGI installer
> but without success. :(

> When I boot-CD with bf24, what I do:

> extdisk (lar1440.bin)
> mdadm --create /dev/md0 --verbose --level=0 --raid-devices=2
> /dev/hda3 /dev/hdb1

> mkreiserfs /dev/md0

> mount -t reiserfs /dev/md0 /target

> All right, I install debian base system in /target, but I can't
> boot the system...

> I have tried recompile kernel, but lilo warnings about RAID1
> only.

> I tried to mkinitrd with necessary kernel modules, but there is
> no possible because I have booted from CD.

> What's necessary to done that installation?

> I have Conectiva Linux 8 running exactly with that scheme
> partittion, because CL8 have RAID support on installation.

This seems very unlikely; I've asked around, and everyone confirms that
neither LILO nor GRUB supports booting from a RAID0 set.  Even if it
did, I wouldn't be willing to trust my system to such a feature --
that's far too much complexity to put in a bootloader.  It's much more
likely that you had a separate /boot partition for your kernel that was
being used by LILO, and simply didn't realize it.  That is still, to my
knowledge, the recommended way to boot Linux on a machine with software
RAID0.

> Why the Debian's Delelopers have not included on Debian-Installer
> support for RAID and LVM? Actually they are necessary tools on
> day-by-day.

The next incarnation of the Debian installer (which is what this mailing
list is for) seems to have some support for LVM/EVMS.  For woody, the
steps you describe above seem very correct, except for the need for a
separate /boot partition.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek