Re: Status for reiser support in d-i (was: reiser support in debian-installer)

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 02:20:16PM +0200, Sebastian Ley wrote:
> * Alastair McKinstry wrote:
>
> > (1) a reiserfs kernel module, in its own udeb. Submit a patch to
> > Herbert Xu to do this; its straightforward, as the module udebs are
> > just repackaged from the current kernel ; examples in the package.
>
> I mailed Herbert and asked him to do this.
>
> > (2) A reiserfsprogs udeb, (built from the reiserfsprogs package, I
> > presume) that provides /sbin/mkfs.reiserfs. (I know that the
> > reiserfs version is actually called mkreiserfs, but the name is
> > important) This shoulde then depend on (1).
>
> Udebs are ready have been and uploaded by Ed Boraas. The dependency is
> still missing, I have to add it once I know the kernel module udeb
> name. As soon this is uploaded, d-i should be able to format with
> ReiserFS.

Sorry to respond late to this, but is the reiserfs support in parted not
enough for our use, and is debian-installer not supposed (in the long
term) to switch to useing a libparted based partitioning tool ?

libparted seems to have support for :

        ped_file_system_xfs_init ();
        ped_file_system_ufs_init ();
        ped_file_system_reiserfs_init ();
        ped_file_system_ntfs_init ();
        ped_file_system_linux_swap_init ();
        ped_file_system_jfs_init ();
        ped_file_system_hfs_init ();
        ped_file_system_fat_init ();
        ped_file_system_ext2_init ();

With support for creation, copying and resizing for most of those (never
tested though)

Friendly,

Sven Luther