Re: Building D-I - formerly Building boot images with boot-floppies on PowerMac

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Chris Tillman wrote:

> > > The build dependencies are listed in build/debian/control.in. One easy way
> > > to have it check for you, is to cp debian/control.in to debian/control,
> > > then in the bulid directory use dpkg-buildpackage -D -b. Although this is
> > > not a normal debian package, you will still get the unsatisfied dependencies
> > > listed. There is also a @UDEB_DEPENDS@ entry, which the make process will
> > > fill in and download later based on your arch and sources.list.local.
> >
> > I presume I need to upgrade this system to sid?
>
> No, I wouldn't upgrade the whole system if I were you. If you install the
> packages you need, they will pull in the dependencies from unstable as
> needed, for example libc6 etc. But you will have a more stable system
> if you just let it get whatever it needs out of sid.

I copied by deb line, changed stable to unstable and ran this command:
for p in install libdiscover1-pic libdiscover1 genext2fs mklibs libdebconfclient0 libdebian-installer3; do apt-get -qqyu install $p; done

which wasn't entirely sensible (no package called install). This doesn't
look like my greatest success:
Current default timezone: 'Australia/Perth'.
Local time is now:      Thu Jul  3 12:46:42 WST 2003.
Universal Time is now:  Thu Jul  3 04:46:42 UTC 2003.
Run 'tzconfig' if you wish to change it.

Setting up libdb1-compat (2.1.3-7) ...

(Reading database ... 27739 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libdiscover1 1.1-6 (using
.../libdiscover1_1.5-1.4_powerpc.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libdiscover1 ...
Setting up libc6-pic (2.3.1-17) ...
Setting up libc6-dev (2.3.1-17) ...
Setting up locales (2.3.1-17) ...
Generating locales...
  en_US.ISO-8859-1... done
  en_US.UTF-8.../usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 24: 32642 Terminated
localedef -i $input -c -f $charset $locale -A /etc/locale.alias
dpkg: error processing locales (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 143
Setting up libdiscover1 (1.5-1.4) ...

What should I do to fix this?

--

Cheers
John Summerfield

Please, no off-list mail at all at all. This address accepts mail only
from Debian addresses.