Re: Website suggestion

lör 2003-05-10 klockan 15.50 skrev Ander F:
> On that page, after "stable," there's a section called
> "Unofficial CD images of the 'testing' and 'unstable'
> distributions." Unlike the page you mentioned, it says
> nothing about avoiding those versions.

Then it is purely a debian-www problem.

> As I've pointed out, I understood the newness-vs.-risk
> factor; it's described all over the Net. (And it is
> _not_ clear that "testing" and "unstable" are
> "unreleased"---I'll address that shortly.)

Unfortunate, but still a debian-www problem.

> About the manual: The "Debian Releases" page
> (http://www.debian.org/releases) says:
>
> > The current "stable" distribution of Debian
> GNU/Linux is version 3.0r1,
> > codenamed woody...
>
> I downloaded the newest official install manual I
> could find: "Installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 For Intel
> x86." What you said may be true, but the manual does

Interesting. Where did you find it? There *is* no Debian GNU/Linux 3.1
yet, so I wonder why there's an installation manual for it.

> not indicate that it's for Stable, Testing, Unstable,
> or Swiss cheese, for that matter. Woody is 3.0---so I
> assumed this manual was for a newer version---e.g.,
> Sarge. (If not, what _is_ it for?)

You got me there, I have no idea.

> M> I guess we expect new users to use the *released*
> versions.
>
> Yes, you've said that, and that's fine---but how about
> giving everyone else a clue? (Asterisks are mine this
> time:)
>
>   Debian *Releases* page
> (http://www.debian.org/*releases*)
>
> > Debian always has at least three *releases* in
> active maintenance:
> > "stable", "testing", and "unstable"...

Indeed, I don't know why it says this, it may be a language problem
("release" meaning different things), I don't know. But in any case, you
should talk to debian-www about it.

/Martin
--
Martin Sjögren