Re: boot floppies problem during installation

On Mittwoch, 7. Mai 2003 23:21, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 02:48:08PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > Actually, the bug is in the kernel module, hanging the kernel when it
> > is removed.  hotplug only triggers the bug.
>
> According to Ralf Noden, USB is compiled into the kernel.

Well, I originally *assumed* that would be the problem - I just could see that
the hanging process is rmmod - which brought me to the quick assumption that
the module can't be removed (and is therefore compiled in). But I'm
apparently wrong - if you load the module with hotplug then you'll naturally
also unload it again. So it seems the bug is in the kernel module.

OTOH, I don't know where the exact difference in the code is between the
2.4.20-bf2.4 kernel and the kernel-image-2.4.20-1-i386 (your one Herbert from
unstable; I backported it to woody). As kernel-image-2.4.20-1-i386 works
perfectly well with hotplug, the question is rather what the difference in
the USB setup is. The best idea is probably to build bf2.4 from the
kernel-image-2.4.20-1-i386, no ?

Ralf

Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org