Re: [d-i] Choosing the install kernel?

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 09:52:47AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Petter Reinholdtsen]
> > The base-installer in cvs chooses kernel image using the
> > debian-installer/kernel/image template from rootskel.  I'm woundering
> > how I am supposed to set up my install CD to use another kernel.
> > Could anyone explain how this is supposed to adapt?  One do not want
> > to install the same kernel version when installing woody, sarge and
> > sid.
> >
> > There used to be some code in base-installer to choose kernel based in
> > distribution and architecture.  Now the code in rootskel only chooses
> > based in architekture (and is missing a defaul value, I suggest the
> > virtual package kernel-image.  See patch).  The kernel choosing logic
> > should be able to pick the best kernel available.  Any ideas on how to
> > do this?
>
> I got no reply, but have been thinking about the problem.  Now that
> base-installer and kernel-installer is two different packages, there
> is a simple solution to this problem.
>
> We make a new udeb, kernel-chooser, depending on rootskel and the
> packages setting mirror/distribution, and set kernel-installer to
> depend on kernel-chooser.
>
> This now package kernel-chooser will look at the current architecture,
> distribution and possibly /proc/cpuinfo, and choose the best kernel
> among the packages implementing the virtual package kernel-image.  The
> name of the kernel is stored into debian-installer/kernel/image and
> the correct package is installed by kernel-installer.  Any objections?

So it would eliminate having to choose the right flavor or
subarchitecture? That would make everybody's lives MUCH
simpler. 99% of people using computers don't understand
what the word architecture means, much less which one the
box in front of them represents.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003