Re: install bug; after swap-init fail, errmsg about flpy

#include <hallo.h>
* JD [Sun, Dec 22 2002, 11:34:23PM]:

> Hello INSTALLER-coding Debianians
>
> 	debian-boot@lists.debian.org
> 		if this belongs better in debian-testing, please advise
> 		please edit this as the shoe may fit

It's okay here.

> --  INSTALL BUG  --  Severity=nuisance  --
>
> CD1-Install of 3.0r1 glitched on a pc with
>  - no floppy drive and FDC=off in CMOS-Setup
>  - swap happened to be a logical volume inside an extnded part'n, and
>  - that swap happened to "need" initialization

Of course it did.

> It kacked just as it was trying to initialize the swap partition, and
> heaved up a hairball.. "failed" with the "Rescue Floppy".

What do you mean? What was the error messages?

> A stronger hand would have been able to Alt_F2 and phony-up an
> imaginary /mnt/floppy or something to satisfy this step.  Not me.

Dunno what you mean. Just created the same szenario and the installation
worked fine.

> Fortunately, as it was, it could go back to the stage of offering to

"Back"? You are not forced to go the steps in some order by our
installer.

> --40gB hda PARTITIONING--
>  1=primary[ 5.67g,  fat32,  win..DOH!s ]
>  2=primary[ 5.67g, LnxExt2, Deb30r1 ]
>  3=primary[ 5.67g,  0xEB,   BeOS ]
>  4=EXTENDED[
>  	  __LOGICAL1-{ 256mB, Type82_linuxSwap }
>  	  __LOGICAL2-{ 24gigs, this week it's been FAT32 }
>  	]

Sure that your kernel got that partition table correctly? Did you reboot
as told by cfdisk?

> I am mulling over spinning that install again onto another hack hard
> disk, with an LS-120 in the mix, and see what happens, at the risk of
> maybe learning something.

You should be able to install from it with the next generation of
boot-floppies, see http://people.debian.org/~blade/bf3024/. Just specify
root=/dev/hdX for your LS120 drive.

> SUGGESTION:  Might be cool at that place in the install to offer to
> "write" that floppy stuff as a FLOPPY-IMAGE (rawrite-variety), in lieu
> of (or in addition to) dealing with an actual, lowly FDD and accursed
> floppy.  1.44mB or 2.88mB  shouldn't be too "hard to hold" in the
> ramdisk 'til the filesystem's ready.  Having such a (system-specific?)
> floppy-image sitting around might be handy if you can't boot into a
> higher run-level.

That is on you to find a boot loader that could work with images.

[...stupid attacks against floppy media deleted... ]

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
The feature you'd like to have is probably already installed on your
Linux system.