Re: [patch] cdebconf and i18n

On Sat, 2002-11-09 at 22:47, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 05:57:12PM +0100, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > No, user must provide this information, it cannot be guessed.
> > >

> > I was thinking more of
> > 	if (locale == "C")
> > 		question user;
> > 	else
> > 		get country from locale.
>
> It doesn't work, you can't get country from locale, you must always ask
> user to tell where he lives.  Moreover where does this locale come from?
> IMO we should at the very beginning ask
>   a. which language to use for installation
>   b. geographic location (a la tzselect/tzconfig)
>
> Denis

This is what I expected (and meant). At the start of installation, get
the language and location, and then _store_them_in_the_locale,
ie. set LC_ALL=fr_BE (for French in Belgium, for example).
[ Again, on certain hardware we can help by making intelligent
autodetects of language, and preset the default option, but we would
still ask the question].
Then other parts of the install could read the locale / env. variable.