Re: [patch] cdebconf and i18n

On Sat, 2002-11-09 at 16:17, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 11:37:07AM +0100, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > [ Just lurking on d-i for a while, to get up to speed on the design
> > before contributing].
> >
> > Why do you use DEBCONF_LANG rather than LANG or LC_ALL ?
>
> No good reason.  This is just a temporary workaround until a better
> solution is provided (via a debconf template), so I did not carefully
> think about it.
>
> > Similarly, in some parts of the installer, there is a need to find the
> > Country. Shouldn't that be found from LC_ALL as well?
>
> No, user must provide this information, it cannot be guessed.

I was thinking more of
	if (locale == "C")
		question user;
	else
		get country from locale.

(This being done early in the install, I suppose. It is even possible in
some places to get this automatically. I know some Compaq Alphaservers
for example have the country setting in the BIOS equivalent; its
possible to autodetect country there. (and correct as necessary).

I am reworking the debconf questions for console-* (of which I'm
maintainer) and need to know the country for the keyboard setting.
It seems to be available in debconf and, due to POSIX, the locale, and
was wondering why
	(1) its in debconf
	(2) why can't we get it from the system locale / store it there