Re: i18n requires setlocale

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 12:34:34PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Martin Quinson]
> > AFAIK, if you are using gettext, setting
> >
> > LANG=nb:nn:da:sv
> >
> > should do the trick since gettext implements fallbacks.
>
> No, you are thinking about the LANGUAGE variable.  The LANG variable
> can only contain one locale, while the LANGUAGE variable can be a
> colon-separated list of language/locale codes.

Right. Sorry. I should test what I say before saying it :(

Example:
mquinson@blaise:~$ ls AZE
ls: AZE: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
mquinson@blaise:~$ LANGUAGE="fr:de" ls AZE
ls: AZE: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
mquinson@blaise:~$ LANGUAGE="de:fr" ls AZE
ls: AZE: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mquinson@blaise:~$ LANGUAGE="no:fr" ls AZE
ls: AZE: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
mquinson@blaise:~$ LANGUAGE="no:de:fr" ls AZE
ls: AZE: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mquinson@blaise:~$ LANGUAGE="no:de_DE:fr_FR" ls AZE
ls: AZE: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

> > AFAIK, it's not implemented yet in debconf.
>
> It is not too hard to implement.  I once did part of it for
> boot-floppies.  But I believe it is better to rewrite debconf and
> cdebconf to use gettext, and perhaps make a small version of gettext
> to include on boot floppies.

The problem of using gettext in debconf is that gettext wants the catalogs
to be installed before used, and that debconf is used before the
installation of the package (obviously).

As long as this problem is not solved, it seems impossible to use gettext in
debconf.

The purpose of po-debconf is somehow different: it focus on how the
translations are manipulated by the translators and the developer in the
source package. They are remplacement/modifications for the debconf-getlang,
debconf-mergelang tools.

AFAIK, the way debconf handles translation at configuration time is not
changed by po-debconf, and still don't use gettext.

Bye, Mt.

          --- éphéméride du 19 juin