Re: Woody Installation

Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
Hi Giuseppe

> First a quick introduction.
> The debian installer you used will probably be superceded by a new
> installer that is being written from scratch, i.e. it is not an
> improuvement of the dbootstrap code you are using. If you are courious
> you could probably try it from CVS:
> http://cvs.debian.org/debian-installer/
Will look into that (as well as dbootstrap).

> 1. The documentation about the sb module and all its arguments is
>    /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/Documentation/sound/Soundblaster
>    Of course the actual path will be different for a different kernel
>    version.

> 3. To setup the modules after the installation of Debian you need to
>    create a file in /etc/modutils/. The files already there will be
>    useful for understanding how they work. You still have more
>    documentation on this in
>    /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/Documentation/modules.txt
>    In that document you will find how to know what parameters a module
>    needs (/sbin/modinfo -p sb)
Now that I have found the kernel source on the BINARY CDs I can go on.

> 4. About the cdrom mount point. I *think* that Debian have a 'preferred'
>    cdrom. Once you have a system set up, you should make a link from
>    your /dev/sr0 to /dev/cdrom. In this way every program that try to
>    access your cdrom will find it in /dev/cdrom regardless of which is
>    your real cdrom device (scsi, ide, ...)
>    The usual mount point for the cdrom in /cdrom. After Debian is
>    installed you usually find a line like this one in /etc/fstab
>    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,exec,noauto
I would like to have apt read from /mnt/cd32. Which file do I have to
tweak now? I. e. whre does apt store ist predilection for /cdrom or is
it compiled in?

> 5. The ide-scsi. Some program require a SCSI device. The ide-scsi
>    software emulate the SCSI interface on an IDE device. If you need to
>    activate it then you have to load the module *AND* use an argument
>    during the loading of the linux kernel (i.e. in LILO or grub). If you
>    do not set the argument for ide-scsi during boot then you do not have
>    to worry about it. It is probably opened by some program but will not
>    actually work since you did not provide the argument. An example of
>    the argument is hdc=ide-scsi that means: create a faked SCSI device
>    controller and a fakes device chain and a faked SCSI disk device that
>    the emulator should map to the hdc device.
I have 3 SCSI CD-ROMs and a SCSI harddisk, so most programs should be
happy.
No compiling a no kernel, ide-scsi will be dead. Never had any problems
befor w/o it.

> 6. About the matrox driver. I am not an owner of a matrox card but I
>    understood that XFree requires a driver for that board that is
>    available from the matrox web site.
I looked at xfree86.org again. They say it's part of the svga-driver.
I think I will ask again in debian-x with copy of my config file
attached.

> 7. The CVS for the documentation is not available only under Linux. You
>    use any CVS client on any unices or user WinCVS under MS-Windows.
>    Moreover you have the HTTP interface in http://cvs.debian.org/
Good to know.

> 8. The apt.conf file is documented in man. To have more information just
>    type 'man apt.conf'. It this doesn't show up, then prabably you have
>    a misconfigured man. Did you tried mandb?
Found it now, it's /etc/apt/sources.list

> 9. mail. On a Debian system you need at least local mail in order to
>    deliver mail from cron. If you use exim, then you may choice from a
>    menu that will permit you a 'local delivery only' installation. You
>    may run eximconfig anytime to change it.
Local mail is installed and will soon be configured, but I have to
retrieve mail from several ISPs and also want to read several languages
not using Roman characters. Will ask this again in debian-isp.

> 10. Security update. This a different source for your apt. You may
>    insert it in /etc/apt/sources.list and then run the apt frontend you
>    like. The question about using root is strange: you need to have root
>    privilege to install any package in Debian. There is no special rule
>    in using security update since they are normal packages that fixes
>    security bug in a stable distribution like woody.
To run apt-get, you must be root, so that means to access the web as
root. I don't like the idea. Is there a way to do this wothout being
root?

> 11. tcpwrapper is way to secure your network connected machine at
>    application level. To have more information on it look for the
>    package tcpd.
OK

> 12. The X resolution is shown in /var/log/XFree86.0.log. Look for a
>    line like 'Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)'. You may also find
>    the actual resolution using the command xdpyinfo.
Should help.

> 13. When you boot your system using the Debian kernel than you have a
>    lot of driver installed. This is the reason that during boot you see
>    many SCSI drivers trying to find its own hordware. To avoid it you
>    have to recompile your kernel without these drivers.
Will compile my own kernel.

> 14. The kernel source are available in a *BINARY* package and not only
>    in the source package. You may install it via the package
>    kernel-source with the correct version (the one you like.)
Have already found them.

Thanks for the help
Axel Schlicht