Re: Woody Installation

> > 4. About the cdrom mount point. I *think* that Debian have a 'preferred'
> >    cdrom. Once you have a system set up, you should make a link from
> >    your /dev/sr0 to /dev/cdrom. In this way every program that try to
> >    access your cdrom will find it in /dev/cdrom regardless of which is
> >    your real cdrom device (scsi, ide, ...)
> >    The usual mount point for the cdrom in /cdrom. After Debian is
> >    installed you usually find a line like this one in /etc/fstab
> >    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,exec,noauto
> I would like to have apt read from /mnt/cd32. Which file do I have to
> tweak now? I. e. whre does apt store ist predilection for /cdrom or is
> it compiled in?

from 'man apt-cdrom':

       --cdrom
              Mount  point;  specify  the  location  to mount the
              cdrom.  This  mount  point  must   be   listed   in
              /etc/fstab  and  propely configured.  Configuration
              Item: Acquire::cdrom::mount.

> > 9. mail. On a Debian system you need at least local mail in order to
> >    deliver mail from cron. If you use exim, then you may choice from a
> >    menu that will permit you a 'local delivery only' installation. You
> >    may run eximconfig anytime to change it.
> Local mail is installed and will soon be configured, but I have to
> retrieve mail from several ISPs and also want to read several languages
> not using Roman characters. Will ask this again in debian-isp.

You may use fetchmail to get your email, then probably any MUA (mail
user agent) will work. I think that you could use mutt on a utf-8
enabled xterm. Better solutions in debian-user mailing list.

> > 10. Security update. This a different source for your apt. You may
> >    insert it in /etc/apt/sources.list and then run the apt frontend you
> >    like. The question about using root is strange: you need to have root
> >    privilege to install any package in Debian. There is no special rule
> >    in using security update since they are normal packages that fixes
> >    security bug in a stable distribution like woody.
> To run apt-get, you must be root, so that means to access the web as
> root. I don't like the idea. Is there a way to do this wothout being
> root?

You have to be root. If you don't want to be root than you could
probably give the right to use apt to some user vua the program called
sudo.

Bye,
Giuseppe