woody installation script first impressions

Dan Jacobson reflects on his brush with the 8 debian woody CDs:

When one installs from the CD's one is directed to www.debian.org for
instructions from one of those installation screens... one might not
notice that the instructions are right on disk... so the installation
screen should mention it.  Sorry to bring this up again.

OK, I'm in install/doc/ch-preparing.en.html and it says to click
.../current/md5sum.txt but that isn't found.   No, I'm not really
interested in seeing it, just wanted to inform you of a failed click

Anyway, back to what one sees with the CDs: I see mention of hitting
F3 for help on the first screen.  Ok, I go there, but there is no
comforting way back to that first screen.

when one hits RET at "<continue>" it is quite disturbing to see some
stuff flash by too fast ... one wonders how could they intentionally
make me wonder and worry like this.  Yes I see it is mentioned in the
instructions, but we are just reading the screens as presented and
dont see mention.  Mention or no mention, it makes one think something
is wrong.  Or, if you mention "never mind that" then indeed, a real
problem flitting by too fast to be read would also be assumed to just
be another one of those intentional too-fast screens.

/var/log/installer.log is a mess with all those ANSI graphic escapes.
How is one supposed to read this?

/var/lib/apt/lists/ is a mess with 171 character long file names.  How
How is one supposed to read this?  With some apt tool I haven't
learned yet I'm sure, but, pray tell, have you seen any other tool go
so hog wild with file names... reminds me of /c/windows/Application
Data/Identities/{1A52B6E0-D263-11D3-9BF7-AB2B6E60B450}/
which at least will fit in my emacs window.

It says one can read a page about each module... but the bsd_comp,
etc. module doesn't have a page.

I remember that I should have nls_cp950 installed to read Chinese off
MS-windows or something, but it is disturbingly not asked about while
other nls_cpXXX are .  In Contents-i386.gz I see
lib/modules/2.2.20/fs/nls_cp950.o base/kernel-image-2.2.20
which I bet means it is already installed.  But is would be best to
have some comforting words during installation about why one's number
isn't shown.

"Scanning CD for index files": well my CD player is 10 meters away
from my monitor.  I have two CD players.  I wish the install screens
would say how to put them both to work during the install process.

After the media change notice one pops in the new cd and things seem
to stall, but actually it is reading files but not saying anything,
until a few minutes later.

For my Logitech trackball I should say Intellimouse.  I remember Mandrake
reminds us of this quirk, but not debian.

Configuring this and that... "remember to edit ..." it says.  Good
luck remembering...  maybe there should be a file presented to the
user with all the things to remember in one place after installation.

When we are going thru the installation screens it would be nice to
in a corner see a "02/47" meaning page 2 of 47 total...
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780