Re: Flavor matching WinModem drivers with new Installs

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 12:39:09PM -0500, Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
> Boot folks,
>
> Don mostly & I service help calls concerning the Lucent Winmodem under
> Debian.
> Preferable I spend my discretionary time writing fixes into the
> compiler/installer for the modem drivers.  The downloads are at
> http://www.heby.de. Also thereat, Chris Hebeisen mounts ltmodem-ver.deb
> installers for all of the stock Debian kernels. See the Attached current
> list.
>
> The problem addressed here recurs about once a week with Debian Newbies.
> They succeed in an install.
> Upon trying to get on line either through using the compiler kit for the
> modem drivers or one of  ltmodem-ver.deb,
> a flavour mismatch with the running kernel is encountered.
>
> From this I gather that the flavor or the newly installed kernel is
> sometimes/always?
> different from that of the stock kernel-image.deb and kernel-header.deb.
> See the particular case below for an example. The output below:
> ================
> > >Janardan wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm newbie in Linux.
> > > Please help me install winmodem Lucent in Debian 2.2..
> > >
> > > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > DISTRO=debian_version,2.2
> ==================
> is from diagnostics run from within the build_module compiler front end.
>
> Please let's discuss potential ameliorations/solutions.
> Going from the general to the particular:
>
> 0) While its transparent knowledge to you Great Boot Folks, within:
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/ or its
> subfolders
> There is NOT a transparent statement of what the kernel-sources version
> is?#!
> While the kernel config files are there (thanks),
> it shouldn't be necessary to "rawrite2 rescue.bin", just to get the
> version of the kernel sources.

Is the  kernel-sources version you're referring to different from
the version number contained within the name in /boot e.g.
vmlinux-2.2.19-pmac? The same info is available with uname -a,
that also works within the installer environment.

> 1) Somewhere appropriate, perhaps in Documentation left in /root/
> There should be a WinModems-info.txt:
>    WinModem driver infomation can be accessed through:
>    http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/
>    http://linmodems.org
>    http://www.heby.de/linmodem for Lucent modem drivers.
>       These are modems which are not served by the serial.o
>    or the PCMCIA serial_cs.o  drivers. Etc,
>
> Most of the new PCs (sadly) have such Winmodems, so helping the Newbies
> is important.

How about putting together a WinModem HOWTO for the LDP, if one doesn't
already exist? That would find its way into a doc folder. But not inside
the installer, we have minimal doc stuff there. Is there a good place in
the installation manual to add your links? Please supply some words and
I'll put them in (see my .sig for the link). We ask everyone to read the
manual.

> 2) Also left in /root/ should be a
>   a) Warning that/when the kernel-headers.deb on their install CDROM do
> NOT flavor match that of their installed kernel,
>   b) that it they are using LOADLIN or similar,
> newly installed kernels MUST be copied to the vmlinuz/linux site under
> DOS where LOADLIN looks for the boot kernel.

Doesn't the install manual cover that? Again if you can tell me what should
go in I can add it (I don't use loadlin or i386 myself, so I need you to
supply the wording that newbies will understand.)

> 3) When there are/will be flavor mismatchs between the kernel installed
> and the stock kernel-header.deb packages, PLEASE let us ltmodem
> Maintainers know.  Then we can proactively just assemble
> ltmodem-NewInstall.deb
> rather than later cope with Newbie Queries

This I'm not advanced enough to understand. There are many versions of
kernel-headers available in the archives, right? What mismatches, and
how does it affect your install? If you can describe the results and
how the situation arises, then it sounds like you should file a bug on
this one.