Flavor matching WinModem drivers with new Installs

Boot folks,

Don mostly & I service help calls concerning the Lucent Winmodem under
Debian.
Preferable I spend my discretionary time writing fixes into the
compiler/installer for the modem drivers.  The downloads are at
http://www.heby.de. Also thereat, Chris Hebeisen mounts ltmodem-ver.deb
installers for all of the stock Debian kernels. See the Attached current
list.

The problem addressed here recurs about once a week with Debian Newbies.
They succeed in an install.
Upon trying to get on line either through using the compiler kit for the
modem drivers or one of  ltmodem-ver.deb,
a flavour mismatch with the running kernel is encountered.

From this I gather that the flavor or the newly installed kernel is
sometimes/always?
different from that of the stock kernel-image.deb and kernel-header.deb.
See the particular case below for an example. The output below:
================
> >Janardan wrote:
> >
> > I'm newbie in Linux.
> > Please help me install winmodem Lucent in Debian 2.2..

> > DISTRO=debian_version,2.2
==================
is from diagnostics run from within the build_module compiler front end.

Please let's discuss potential ameliorations/solutions.
Going from the general to the particular:

0) While its transparent knowledge to you Great Boot Folks, within:
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/ or its
subfolders
There is NOT a transparent statement of what the kernel-sources version
is?#!
While the kernel config files are there (thanks),
it shouldn't be necessary to "rawrite2 rescue.bin", just to get the
version of the kernel sources.

1) Somewhere appropriate, perhaps in Documentation left in /root/
There should be a WinModems-info.txt:
   WinModem driver infomation can be accessed through:
   http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/
   http://linmodems.org
   http://www.heby.de/linmodem for Lucent modem drivers.
      These are modems which are not served by the serial.o
   or the PCMCIA serial_cs.o  drivers. Etc,

Most of the new PCs (sadly) have such Winmodems, so helping the Newbies
is important.

2) Also left in /root/ should be a
  a) Warning that/when the kernel-headers.deb on their install CDROM do
NOT flavor match that of their installed kernel,
  b) that it they are using LOADLIN or similar,
newly installed kernels MUST be copied to the vmlinuz/linux site under
DOS where LOADLIN looks for the boot kernel.

3) When there are/will be flavor mismatchs between the kernel installed
and the stock kernel-header.deb packages, PLEASE let us ltmodem
Maintainers know.  Then we can proactively just assemble
ltmodem-NewInstall.deb
rather than later cope with Newbie Queries

Your suggestions for this joint problem are welcomed.

Please copy to Don <youto_22554@yahoo.com> as he is not a member of
debian-boot.
I've just rejoined temporarily to comment on this problem.
So my apolgies if these have been discussed earlier,

MarvS