Re: 3.0.19 install issues

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 02:32:41AM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 02:46:21PM -0800, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 04:07:35PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > > I just ran through a clean Woody installation on 3.0.19; here's my
> > > observations from it.  Hope these are useful.  Please CC me on any comments;
> > > I no longer read debian-boot.
> > >
> > >   - Choosing "mounted" defaults to /instmnt but is actually RELATIVE TO
> > > "/instmnt/".  This results in a lot of confusion and some ugly doubled
> > > slashes.
> >
> > you gotta be kidding me :(
> > i thought i had fixed all that :( :(
> >
> > were you using fresh-from-the-cvs sources?
>
> I was using the set Adam built; did you fix it after 3.0.19 was
> uploaded?

i'm not sure exactly what you did, but the disks i built last night from
fresh CVS sources worked the way they were supposed to.

for ``hard disk  : partition on the hard disk'' there is a note that
says ``Note that the filesystem you just mounted is located in the
directory, /instmnt, but you don't need to give that directory here.''
that may have been confusing.

unless you were using 3.0.18 images, which would exhibit the old, broken
behaviour.

the one way to tell for sure: if you have mounted multiple partitions,
and select ``mounted    : already mounted filesystem'' and you are
presented with a menu of all your currently mounted partitions then you
have the new choose_medium.c behaviour.

if you feel the documentation does not match the behaviour, please, i
implore you, to try to come up with better wording. i am hesitant to
because 1) i can't think of a better way and 2) i don't want to create
more burden on the translators without a real benefit.

-john

i ``Initialize a Linux Partition'' /dev/hda1, and mounted it as /. i
then ``Mount a Previously-Initialized Partition'' /dev/hda7 and mounted
it on ``Other: Enter name of a different mount point.'' /try

i then dropped to a shell, and manually mount /dev/hda6 /instmnt
and mkdir /this_is_dumb; mount /dev/hda2 /th*

so i got a menu that looked a bit like this:

        lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqu Select Partition tqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
        x                                                              x
        x Please choose the partition where the Debian archive         x
        x resides.                                                     x
        x                                                              x
        x               lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk                  x
        x               x /dev/hda6: /instmnt       x                  x
        x               x /dev/hda1: /target        x                  x
        x               x /dev/hda2: /this_is_dumb  x                  x
        x               x /dev/hda7: /target/try    x                  x
        x               mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj                  x
        x                                                              x
        x                            <Cancel>                          x
        mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj