Re: URGENT! Install Base System via network: settings wrong

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 10:05:19AM +0200, Ariel Tankus wrote:
> Chris,
>
>    I just saw the e-mails in this subject, and I'd like to add
> that deleting the file may not be enough.  From my experience
> (reported to debian-testing mailing list;  see there for a detailed
> description), erasing the file may not be enough.
>    I tried several things, including manually erasing the file,
> but the same ``Malformed Release..'' message appears.
> In addition, I tried to install from the very beginning, including
> formatting the partition, but still the same message occured.
> After I re-formatted the partition, the installation went on smooth
> until that ``Malformed'' stage, but again I received the error message.
>    A guy on the debian-testing mailing list suggested (from his experience)
> that I manually edit the sources.list file, as it worked for him.
> I didn't (yet?) tried this myself.
>
>    I e-mail this, just to warn that deleting the file may not be enough,
> and the problem may lie somewhere deeper.  Is there any version to test
> newer than 3.0.18?

I believe it, because we haven't yet determined the root cause. The
new version hasn't been built yet, but will probably be no better for
you, if it happens consistently in your case, because AFAIK the only
change made regarding this issue was to delete the file when it
happened. That fixed the problem for many people.

When 3.0.19 is uploaded, it would be great for you to test it; or if
you can do more detailed troubleshooting with debootstrap (since it
seems to consistently fail for you) that would be cool too. You can
download debootstrap as a standalone package (and it's just a shell
script), so you wouldn't have to do a complete new install to debug
it.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |