Re: One should be patient with root.bin and modules.dep

> On Sun Jan 06, 2002 at 02:58:53PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Shaul Karl <shaulka@bezeqint.net> writes:
> >
> > > When using the latest root.bin that I could find (18-dec-2001) the
> > > screen get flooded with messages about modprobe not being able to read
> > > the modules.dep. Altough it is able to recover and continue the
> > > installation process one should be patient in order for this to happen.
> >
> > Well, you're english is a little bit shakey, but I know the issue you
> > are taking about.  These messages IIRC are caused by kmod (the kernel
> > module loader) not being happy.  We try to force it to shut up and
> > work-around but ...  anyhow, it's either something we can fix by
> > messing around in root.bin, or it's a limitation in kmod.
>
> How about adding this to boot-floppies/utilities/dbootstrap/main.c
>
> -	/* Downgrade kernel verbosity */
> -	klogctl(8, NULL, 4);
> +	/* Don't let the kernel printk stuff to the console. */
> +	klogctl(6, NULL, 0);
>
>  -Erik
>
> --
> Erik B. Andersen             http://codepoet-consulting.com/
> --This message was written using 73% post-consumer electrons--

Suppose those lines will be used and it works, won't the result be that
from a user point of view the machine will be seemingly doing nothing
for some time?
As it was without this patch it took some time for my 486 to continue
with the installation. Although it was not a very long time it was
still somewhat significant. I do believe that some people would have
thought that something goes wrong and boot the machine.
--

    Shaul Karl
    email: shaulka(at-no-spam)bezeqint.net