Re: Install manual organization

Chris Tillman <toff@Obsession.onshored.com> writes:

> Here's my thinking about re-organization the manual along the lines
> you proposed. We'll need much less space to talk about installation
> source options without a base tarball or floppies.

god knows that might come back, you know :)

> 1 Welcome to Debian
>
> 1.1 What is Debian?
> 1.2 What is GNU/Linux?
> 1.3 What is Debian GNU/Linux?
> 1.4 What is Debian GNU/Hurd?
> 1.5 Getting Debian
> 1.6 Getting the Newest Version of This Document
> 1.7 Organization of This Document
> 1.8 WARNING: This Document Has Known Problems

Hopefully we can eliminate this one... :)

> 1.9 About Copyrights and Software Licenses
>
> 2 System Requirements
>
> 2.1 Supported Hardware
> 2.2 Installation Media
> 2.3 Memory and Disk Space Requirements
> 2.4 Peripherals and Other Hardware
> 2.5 Purchasing Hardware Specifically for GNU/Linux
>
> 3 Before Installing Debian GNU/Linux
>
> 3.1 Backups
> 3.2 Information You Will Need
> (was 4.2) Planning Use of the System
> 3.3 Pre-installation Hardware and Operating System Setup
> (was 5.1) Overview of the Installation Process
> (delete) 5.2 Choosing the Right Installation Set

That's pretty critical for i386, where we have "flavors".  Most users
will use the vanilla set, rather than the idepci  or compact set.

> (delete) 5.3 Installation Sources for Different Installation Stages
> (new) Obtaining Operating System Installation Files
>    -- CD/ROM tco, Hard Disk download instructions

Good, I like what you're doing here.

I'm a bit concerned on where you put info for people dual booting,
e.g., how you should do your DOS fdisk or MacOS partitioning for dual
booting.  Should clearly be in this chapter, no?

> 4 Booting the Installation System
> 4.1 Booting from Diskettes
> 4.2 Booting from a CD-ROM
> 4.3 Booting from a Local Area Network
> 4.4 Booting from a Hard Disk
> 4.5 (was 6.6) Troubleshooting the Boot Process
>  (move these into troubleshooting)
>  6.1 Boot Parameter Arguments
>  6.2 Interpreting the Kernel Startup Messages
> 4.6 Introduction to dbootstrap
> 4.7 ``Release Notes''
> 4.8 ``Debian GNU/Linux Installation Main Menu''
> 4.9 ``Configure the Keyboard''
> 4.10 Last Chance!

Not bad.  You're breaking up the dbootstrap stuff into many chapters,
but I think that's not a bad idea.

> 5 Partitioning Your Hard Drive and Initializing Partitions
>  4.1 Background
>  4.3 Device Names in Linux
>  4.4 Recommended Partitioning Scheme
>  4.5 Example Partitioning
> delete ->  4.6 Partitioning Prior to Installation (we recommend
> using Debian partitioning tools)

Not always true!  See the discussion Ethan and I had.  See my comments
above.  We should have a dual-booting section, which links into the
work folks did in chapter 3.

> 7.6 ``Partition a Hard Disk''
> 7.7 ``Initialize and Activate a Swap Partition''
> 7.8 ``Initialize a Linux Partition''
> 7.9 ``Mount a Previously-Initialized Partition''
> 7.10 Mounting Partitions Not Supported by dbootstrap

Good, I like this partitioning stuff as it's own chapter.

> 6 (new chapter) 7.11 ``Install Operating System Kernel and Modules''
> 7.12 ``Configure PCMCIA Support''
> 7.13 ``Configure Device Driver Modules''
> 7.14 ``Configure the Network''
>
> 7 (new chapter) 7.15 ``Install the Base System''
> 7.16 ``Configure the Base System''
> 7.17 ``Make Linux Bootable Directly From Hard Disk''
> 7.18 ``Make a Boot Floppy''
> 7.19 The Moment of Truth

Not sure it makes sense to break this into *two* short chapters.  Can
you explain your thinking?

> 8 (new chapter) Base System Configuration
> 7.20 Debian Post-Boot (Base) Configuration

Should probably be entitled something like "Booting into Your New
Debian GNU/Linux system".

> 7.21 MD5 Passwords
> 7.22 Shadow Passwords
> 7.23 Set the Root Password
> 7.24 Create an Ordinary User
> 7.25 Setting Up PPP
> 7.26 Removing PCMCIA
> 7.27 Configuring APT

Good good...

> 9 (new chapter) Task and Package Installation
> 7.28 Package Installation: Simple or Advanced
> 7.29 Simple Package Selection -- The Task Installer
> 7.30 Advanced Package Selection with dselect
> (new) Package Installation from the Command Line
> (new) Package Configuration
> 7.31 Log In

Like it...

> 8 Next Steps and Where to Go From Here
>
> 8.1 If You Are New to Unix
> 8.2 Orienting Yourself to Debian
> 8.3 Further Reading and Information
> 8.4 Compiling a New Kernel

See 81029 about some suggestions here.  We should add info on
configuring the mouse, configuring CD-ROM (if not already),
configuring X11.  These should each be new sections.

> 9 Technical Information on the Debian Installer
>
> 9.1 Source Code
> 9.2 Rescue Floppy
> 9.3 Replacing the Rescue Floppy Kernel
>
> 10 Appendix
>
> 10.1 (was 5.4) Description of Installation System Files
> 10.1 Further Information and Obtaining Debian GNU/Linux
> 10.2 Linux Devices
>
> 11 Administrivia
>
> 11.1 About This Document
> 11.2 Contributing to This Document