Re: i18n and libnewt?

>How can you be sure we're not doing reduction?  After all, 'make
>check' in i18n mode demands libnewt-utf8-pic is installed.

Yah, but libnewt-utf8-pic installs as /usr/lib/libnewt-utf8_pic.a, whereas
mklibs.py will be looking for a libnewt_pic.a (since libnewt-utf8's soname
is still libnewt.so.0).  I'm pretty sure this means that mklibs will give up
and just copy the .so over.

>Perhaps we need to demand that in fact no libnewt*pic packages are
>installed for "heterogenous" i18n builds such as i386 where some
>flavors are i18n and some are not.

Seems like a reasonable plan, yes.

>> 2. Fix libnewt8-utf8-0 to have a different soname so that it can coexist
>> with libnewt0, at which point mklibs.py should just do the right thing
>> automatically.  Again, slang may be in the same boat.
>
>That's the correct solution, but I don't know if soname changes at
>this point in the process...

I guess it depends whether anything except boot-floppies is actually using
libnewt-utf8 -- probably not, since any such package would effectively
conflict with anything that used the standard libnewt.  So long as changing
the soname won't break any other packages, I think we could probably do it
with relative impunity.

p.