Re: timezone

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Joey, is it possible to have base-config configure the timezone?
>
> Hm, what command would you normally run to do that? tzconfig? It doesn't
> really match the interface used by the rest of the install process, if
> so.

I guess that would be ok.  The best would be a debconf version of what
dbootstrap does now, that is, allow drilldown of first level to
second-level scheme, such as US/Eastern.

> It's now possible for any package that wants something to happen at
> base-config time to accomplish this by dropping a program into
> /usr/lib/base-config/. The program is run by run-parts, so you need to
> prefix it with a number (and look carefully at what's already there to
> get a good number) so it's ordered sanly. This is documented in
> base-config(8) in more detail.

Sounds like something that libc6 should do then... that is where
tzconfig is in...

> > I don't see any reason why this needs to be handled in dbootstrap, and
> > if we can get rid of this, then we can remove the whole "configure
> > base" step (or add anything it's doing to do it after we install base)
> > since timezone is the only interactive bit there left...
>
> Well I've always wanted to get rid of that step, but it requires we have
> something similar UI-wise to run on the base system to set up timezones.
> That could mean making a debconf version of tzconfig, or moving the code
> that is used now to configure the timezone on the boot floppies into to a
> package in base. Whatever, so long as the UI is decent. Again, tzconfig
> is fine, except it just doesn't match.

Right.

Well, it seems easiest (to me) to first add it in base-config, and
file a bug against libc6 to request that be properly folded out into
libc6.

Anyhow, that way we can remove the dbootstrap rather quickly, as soon
as we can get a new base-config.

I wish I was good at debconf hacking -- I could help with this.  As it
is, I can only suggest.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>