Re: powermac boot-floppy patches

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 10:09:52AM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 12:25:15AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 09:02:02PM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> >
> > i changed around the tests some.. i think this needs to be done
> > differently anyway.
>
> I think I'll go back to putting the checks in
> check_for_native_partition, then we can keep them in a loop (if they
> want) until they get it right. The only problem is it's called for each
> disk being partitioned. But hey, worst case they get multiple warnings.

hmm.  well i don't want to enforce creation of a bootstrap partition
on every disk, its only necessary for the one containing the root
partition (since thats the only one that will be bootable anyway).

there should probably be a `i know its wrong, let me be an idiot
anyway' switch to bypass the after partitioning check.  we should
leave the tests in run_yaboot() as they are to ensure it will fail on
bad partitioning, there are no exceptions there.

> I was thinking about breaking it out by model, but if you don't think
> it's worth it, then I happily won't do it.

that would be fine if you broke it down by model, if you want to do
the work...  testing all models to see which can support what is a lot
of work.

> I re-worked your readlink code. readlink doesn't append a null or
> include the initial /. I just sorta hacked it in, so feel free to blow
> it away. I don't get what the strrchr bit is about, but maybe more
> coffee will help.

i think it takes the symlink and strips all leading directorys from
it, so a symlink to boot/vmlinux-foo becomes a symlink to simply
vmlinux-foo.

i am not seeing any change to that right now though.. you sure you
commited that change?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/