Re: installation problem

Karl Hammar <karl@kalle.csb.ki.se> writes:

>   The other issue is if the boot-floppies should be able to use a
>   usb-keyboard.

I think the answer here is "yes, if possible".

I have CC'd Herbert Xu, the i386 kernel images maintainer.

>   According to kernel_source/Documentation/usb/input.txt:
>
>     2. Simple Usage
>     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>       For the most usual configuration, with one USB mouse and one
>     USB keyboard, you'll have to load the following modules (or have
>     them built in to the kernel):
>
> 	    input.o
> 	    mousedev.o
> 	    keybdev.o
> 	    usbcore.o
> 	    usb-[uo]hci.o
> 	    hid.o
>
>       After this, the USB keyboard will work straight away, and the USB mouse
>     will be available as a character device on major 13, minor 63:

>   To be able to use it at boot we will need to compile thoose in, or
>   load them without user intervention.

Can't we compile in just enough for the keyboard?

Is this kernel 2.2 or 2.4?  We're still using 2.2 on i386.

>   Keyboard support seems to be built as a module
>
>   $ grep USB_KBD 2.2.25-2001-05-12/kernel-config
>   CONFIG_USB_KBD=m
>
>   I don't know what will happen if it is compiled in and you have a
>   standard keyboard, but I might be able to test it in the weekend.

A very good question.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>