Re: APUS Debian Boot-Floppies Images and bugs

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 04:19:14PM +0100, Alan Buxey wrote:
> hi,
>
> > mmm, they are not really difficult to do, i remember writting my own split
> > programs, because non where availabel back then.
>
> /me thinks there are several free clones of join/split on aminet

It's trivial to write, just some read/writes and an appropriate for loop.

> > (altough not test them). The only real problem is the choice program, but if
> > you only want the launch the debian install stuff, then even that is not
> > needed.
>
> a small C program could output the bootstrap line required to ram: and
> then the script would execute that command

What is the problem with executing it directly from the C program, trough some
instance of the exec family of function (see the exec (3) man page ?) It would
be easier than what you propose.

ideally this program would :

1) ask for the user choice (install debian with or without kernel options, use
   an existing partition (with or without kernel options), boot into amigaos
   (well CLI)).

2) test if we are using a 1.76Mo floppy disk (maybe reading the size of the
   linux kernel would do it, if it >880Ko, then we are in a 1.76 Mo floppy
   disk).

3) if the above test fails, ask if we want to use a 2 floppy kernel setup, if
   yes, load the 2 halves of the kernel, join them and copy them to ram:.
   modify the -k option accordingly.

4) invoke ami/apus boot with the options provided by above.

That's it, we have working 880Ko and 1.76Mo amiga (m68k and apus) rescue
disks.

Someone could even contribute some nice graphical stuff if they feel like it,
either a GUI stuff, or some hardware banging menu with a big debian scrolling
in the background. mmm, now that i think of it, i do have some such asm code
lying around somewhere.

Too sad i don't have a working amiga right now, nor time for it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther