Re: APUS Debian Boot-Floppies Images and bugs

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 08:26:44AM -0500, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 01:05:03PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> >
> > I don't know if it is possible to enable such a per subarch warning (altough
> > it may be common the the m68K/amiga folk).
> Floppys on m68k are completely useless AFAIK. Since Amigalilo is not
> supported by Debian, who needs floppies anyways when everything comes on CD?

Well, you may want to use floppies nonetheless, suppose you have a frechly
bought harddisk to install from. Imagine the following scenario (if you have
1.4MB floppies, that is).

 - you have one rescue floppy, bootable and formated in amiga style (is that
   possible for 1.4MB ones ?). On this floppy you put your gzipped kernel, the
   amiboot program, and a small script launching it. You could even use the
   amiboot/apusboot configuration GUI that exists, but it uses MUI, i think,
   and as thus may not be useable, either because of the non freeness of it,
   or because the MUI library don't fit on your floppy disk.

 - you have the standard set of root image and drivers floppy.

With this, you may be able to boot from the rescue floppy and do the install
as usual. But even without the rescue floppy, you may still be able to use the
standard root and driver floppies, needing only to install on a disk the
kernel, the amiboot/apusboot program and the launching script.

Giorgio seems to have tested the install method from floppies, so if it works,
why not let the possibility to people to use it, even if it may well never be
used.
That is unless there is something not working that i don't know of.

Now, this would only work if you have a floppy that can read 1.44MB floppies,
soit would be nice to enable a warning , in the case of subarch being either
apus or amiga, that warns users that you need a 1.44MB floppy, or even test
for it (is this possible ?)

But then maybe i am only speaking nonsense, please enlighten me if this is the
case.

Friendly,

Sven Luther