Re: PCI autodetection

> Well, it looks like everybody's doing the same thing at the same time.
>
> At Progeny, Joseph Carter has been developing a libdetect based program
> called "discover" which spits out the correct X server (for 3.x) or X
> server and driver (for 4.x) given the PCI info.
>
> I'm writing a program called "dexter" (for Debian X server configurator)
> which uses this information if it is present.
>
> I don't know when Joseph plans to submit his discover program to Debian,
> but dexter (and modified xserver-* postinst scripts to take advantage of
> it) will be showing up in phase2v14.
>
> Dexter is presently feature-complete for Progeny's purposes.  Also, I'm
> deliberately doing things in such a way that there is no need for a fork
> between Progeny's X packages and Debian's.  If Dexter doesn't find
> /var/state/discover/video, it prompts the user for the server (or
> server+driver) to use, which isn't really worse than the present way of
> doing things.
>
> --
> G. Branden Robinson             |     It doesn't matter what you are doing,
> Debian GNU/Linux                |     emacs is always overkill.
> branden@debian.org              |     -- Stephen J. Carpenter
> http://www.debian.org/~branden/ |

A generic svga at 1024x768@60Hz should be a good default in most situations
if nothing else is found.

Consider also that we could detect automatically the monitor model and video
frequencies with read-edid, which can be found at:

  http://web.onetel.net.uk/~elephant/john/programs/linux/read-edid/

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: see my www home page         |