Where to store hardware info ?

I was just looking at parted, and it does some automatic hardware
detection of storage devices, looks like there could end up being a few
different hardware detection programs used for differetn things in
woody.

For the installer we could share information of detected hardware via
debconf, but i guess it should be stored on the filesystem somewhere.

Where in the filesystem should hardware detection information be stored
?

Maybe we could come up with a standard format for the files that contain
hardware info, so that it wouldnt matter what detection program
generated the file it could be read in a standard format by various
utilities.

libparted looks like it will be easy to work on.

Glenn