Re: redesigning the debian installer

Michael S. Fischer wrote:
> > >   Each item in the main menu is provided by an installer module. Installer
> > >   modules indicate that they want to appear on the menu by including the
> > >   following special flag in their control file:
> > >
> > > 	Installer-Menu-Item: nnn
>
> Correct me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't this require central
> coordination of a sort of "magic number registry"?

Those numbers are only used to break ties if dependancies don't impose
an order, so they're not too important. I don't think it will be any harder
to coordinate than the init script priority numbers in Debian proper.

> I think I would prefer something like "Installer-Follows: module
> [,module, ...]"  (e.g. the menus that must precede this one) and have
> the installer figure out which order in which they're supposed to be
> presented.

Declaring a dependency on a module has the same effect as what you're
proposing -- if the depended on module appears in the menu, it must
appear before whatever depends on it.

--
see shy jo