Re: [potato] last not i18ned part in bf and more

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 02:43:25PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Marcin Owsiany <porridge@pandora.info.bielsko.pl> writes:
> >
> > > It seems the only way to go is make a wrapper script. I tested that, and
> > > debconf works OK (i.e. the templates show in Polish
>
> As far as I know, the debconf is potato is still utterly broken with
> regards to translated select lists.
> [...]
> This has come up before. The debconf in potato is broken for i18n, and
> cannot be safely be used that way. The one in woody is of course fine,
> but I had to change it a *lot* to make it work properly.

:-( Seems like I understood you wrong when last time you said that debconf
is broken with i18n. I thought that meant you couldn't use
liblocale-gettext-perl with debconf, but translated templates worked ok.

Anyway, on 11 July you said:

Akira > I think It's a critical bug enough to change debconf
Akira > in frozen with the latest one. Any comments?
Joey >
Joey > That would be very problimatic as the one in unstable has not had a lot
Joey > of testing.

Is that still true after 46 days? Could that woody debconf be uploaded to
proposed-updates so that it can get into 2.2r1? The reason is basically the
same as for debiandoc-sgml (thanks, Adam :-) This would actually allow
full i18n of installation process.

If that is impossible for some reason (probably because the changes are too
huge), then just let me know, an I'll spend some time adding full
translations of the questions asked by base-config to the installation
manual.

regards
Marcin

PS: Maybe the answer to my question is obvious, but "Debian Developer's
Reference" says little about uploading packages to stable.

--
+--------------------------------+ The reason we come up with new versions