Re: LS120/ZIP support

Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org> writes:

> Adam has asked me to add LS120/ZIP support as a source medium into
> dbootstrap. I expect to have at least part of that done by this weekend.

Cool.  I would follow-up on the bug reports.  Most the bugs that apply
to LS/120 apply to Zip drives and vice versa, at least that is my
impression.

> Currently, I envision only limited support -- you'll be able to use the
> ls120/zip device as a source for drivers and base, having previously
> formatted your ls120/zip drive as a dos/vfat/linux disk. Is that the way
> most people do it? Is there a need to create a special root image for these
> devices? Should be fairly straightforward to do, actually.... I guess
> something like this would work, after building a "normal" 1.44 root.bin,
> drivers and base:

Why can't we just use 2.88MB images (already building) then?

> dd if=/dev/zero of=$TMP/idefloppy.bin bs=1k count=50000 # ~50M image
> losetup /dev/loop1 $TMP/idefloppy.bin

I don't think it was my intention that we have a new huge image like
this.  I mean, if that is all that's involved then why do we need a
whole image when the can use the same techniques used for CD-booting
or installing from DOS?

> I don't have plans to support booting off the device, unless someone else
> volunteers to work on it. This is mostly because I only have an ATAPI zip
> drive which is not bootable (on my computer, at least).

LS/120 is already booting, according to the bug reports.

My feeling was the needed support was more about supporting the
devices from the dbootstrap / libfdisk parts where it asks for a media
to install *from*.  Not a whole new set of images, which seems like
overkill to me.