Re: installation problems

> So you're saying you think gpm ought to be added to base?  Not an
> entirely bad idea.
>
> Regarding NFS installation, to use NFS on the "2nd stage" (i.e.,
> installing the full system) you *can* you dselect with the NFS option
> I believe -- uh, is that still there?

Who wants to use dselect now that we have apt?

> Theoretically, apt should be able to support NFS installation w/o a
> wrapper script by using the 'cdrom' URI, then use special Mount and
> UMount options in apt.conf in the CDROM block with the 'mount -t nfs
> ...' commands.  Has anyone tried this?

I haven't tried this but it seems to me that this is more complicated
that mounting the source by hand and adding "file:" in sources.list.

What we need is a native apt method which can accept a syntax like:

  deb nfs://server/path stable main contrib non-free

and mount automatically the NFS directory on an auto-generated mount point.

The "nfs://server/path ..." specification could be generated automatically
by dbootstrap from the NFS location specified for the base installation.

In this way you can supply the source information only once and it will be
used automatically for the apt configuration. If one is installing from an
official cd or debian site there is no need to go through apt configuration,
which for a novice user can be quite confusing and source of errors.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |